William Marshall, b. 1928, Barrister-at-Law, was educated at Campbell College Belfast, Trinity College Dublin and Middle Temple London. He served as a company director with several concerns including a family milling and compounding business in Belfast, and for a period in the 1970s with an innovative firm in Dundalk which manufactured an analogue computing system which met the needs of animal-feed compounders. From 1966 to 1969 he was Chairman of the Fisheries Conservancy Board (NI). and Coordinating Director of the Equal Opportunities Commission (NI) from 1976 to 1981. He served as a member of the Scarman Tribunal, 1969-72, of the Committee of Inquiry into the Veterinary Profession (UK), 1971-71, and of the Royal Commission on Legal Services (UK), 1976. He was Chairman of the Strangford Lough Committee of the National Trust from 1984 to 1987.